cutest

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

God is SO good!

What a week we have had, dear friends ! We have been incredibly busy and loving every minute of it! Here are our past several days in review:

Friday and Saturday, I had the privilege of attending the Beth Moore “Living Proof” Simulcast. That’s right – here in Mexico City! Talk about an awesome experience!
Tears came to my eyes almost immediately as we began praising the Lord in MY heart language. I had no idea how much I missed worshiping the Father in the language of my birth in a large group setting and how much I took for granted that ability when I had the opportunity my entire life until now. As I stood there in the room with Hispanic ladies and English speaking ladies, I was reminded of how special and wonderful my God is and how much He does for me. This small gift He gave me this weekend lifted my spirits and my heart in a way I never thought possible.


Sunday, we attended the anniversary party of one of the house churches that our church planting team works with. It was a wonderful time of worship, fellowship, and awesome Mexican food! The Mexicans cooked the meal and the Gringos brought the desserts.
A version of one conversation from the event between my friend Graciela and I ( translated to English of course):


Graciela: So, desserts are very important in your culture, yes?
Me: Well, I guess you could say that. My family really likes desserts.
Graciela: Hmm, we really like when the missionaries come because they always bring dessert.


And Travis always tries to tell me I can’t buy friendship with chocolate . . .

Monday morning, I was awakened around 6:40 by some very loud noise outside our bedroom window – which faces the street. Travis took a peek out the window and there was traffic as far as you could see. For some reason, drivers in Mexico City think that if there is traffic you should honk your horn – not just honk your horn, LAY on it. So, from 6:40 this morning until about 9:00 all we heard were horns. It is kind of crazy. I wanted to take a picture of the traffic for you but since there are so many trees on our street, we felt they might obstruct the view and I only wanted you to see the picture if you could get the ENTIRE glimpse of what I am talking about here. ABSOLUTE CRAZINESS. We were able to meet with our supervisor and his family on Monday and enjoyed the day learning more about our job and what the needs are here in the city.


I lost my heart today.
We went downtown to help serve lunch at a local homeless ministry (one of the places we will use teams when they come.) During worship time, I was standing toward the very back of the room right behind a young couple with a little girl no more than a year old. Throughout the entire service, she would look at me and smile and laugh – of course I would make faces and coo and smile right back. Then she started reaching her hand out to me over and over again and finally one of the parents asked if I would like to hold her – DO YOU EVEN HAVE TO ASK?!!! I imagine he could see the intense longing on my face. As I held that precious baby in my arms, it was all I could do not to run straight out of the building to the nearest store to buy her toys, clothes, food, and medical care. Travis had to remind me the baby was not mine to keep and after a little while, I gave her back to her parents.


I do not know her families situation but from their clothing and tired faces, it didn’t look good. God reminded me how blessed I am and that even in the tough situation this little one is in – HE can still take care of her. As I watched the family leave today, I so badly wanted to follow them and see their situation. Pray for this family today and that God will touch their lives. Pray also for all the other homeless men and women that were at the ministry today. It was incredible just how many are in need.




Our next few months are going to be very busy filled with recruiting, leading, and serving.
Friends, WE NEED YOU!!! There is so much need here in Mexico we cannot even begin to tell you about all of it. We are asking God to send teams to help us in our work here. We want to say to the Mexican people – We love you, we care, and we want to show you why!
Specific team prayer requests:
- We pray that God will be with our three teams that are coming in October and one in November.
- We pray that God will provide at least one more team for this year in November or December.
- We pray that our calendar will be overflowing with teams for next year.
- We pray that God will send exactly the right individuals who need to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, it looks like yall have jumped right into life in Mexcio City. Remember that Julie and I keep yall in our prayers often. We are praying that you get the much needed help that you are looking for. We cant wait to come down in April.

Chase Rhodes

Amber said...

I loved reading this post. The video is awesome. I can't wait to come. Thank you for loving the precious people there in Mexico. I know God is using u in great ways. Hope youre catching up on ur sleep after the early morning honking wake up call.