But the one who recieved the seed that fell on the good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Mathew 13:23
As many of you might know, on Mondays I go with a group of guys to The House of Restoration. It is a halfway house for guys with addictions. I have been going there almost every Monday since the middle of April. The first few weeks I met a guy named Andres. I started to talk to him about my homework. Every week I tried to build a relationship with him. We really started to become friends. He told me that he wanted to practice his english with me and I could practice spanish with him. Well anyway, time went by and we talked about more serious , personal stuff. Well, last week after the session he stayed sitting in the back of the room when everyone else left. I walked back to talk to him and he asked about my homework. We started to talk like we normally do. But last Monday on the way there I prayed that God would give me the opportunity to talk to him about th gospel. We share it with them in the sessions but I wanted to talk to him personally. Anyway, as we talked about other things the conversation changed. He told me that he had been baptised a few weeks earlier. I asked him to tell me what that meant because I wanted to understand what he believed. After talking he explained that he wanted a relationship with Christ and the he made a commitment to God. He also told me that it had been three months since he did any drugs. I was so excited. We talked more and he started to ask me alot of questions about demons, and the end times, even about what happened to people that didn't get to hear the gospel. We ended up talking for hour and a half, me in spanish and him in english. It was a really great experiance. I was so greatful that he had made the commitment. I was excited because even though I hadn't lead him to Christ I was able to help him to grow by sharing what little knowledge I have. I left last week so excited.
Well today I went to the "house" as normal. When I got there I didn't see Andres. So after it was over I asked one of the guys where he was. He said that last Friday Andre left and that we wasn't coming back. I never understood exactly why he left but just that he left. I was a little sad that I didn't get to see him again, when I left last week I told him to write down anymore questions that he had and we would talk about them again. But he was gone. As I walked home I thought about the fact that when I talked to him last week that I had no idea that it would be our last time together. I was so greatful that God gave me the opportunity to hopefully build on what he already knew. I was greatful to God for the opportunities that he gives us and how we don't know the importance of them. I don't know if my conversation yielded anything. I pray that I was able to clarify some things for him and give him a security in his new faith. I pray that the words that I shared will be helpful to him and that they can find someone else to talk to about such things.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is so cool u got to talk to Andres about God and answer a lot of questions for him. I'm praying that he will continue to grow and maybe u will get to see him again.
Also that's so neat that he was willing to try practicing his English with you & he could understand u! U guys r already missionaries and God is using u in the coolest ways. It's so cool how u r always on the lookout and ready for any opportunity. Jesus loves U!
Post a Comment