cutest

Thursday, July 9, 2009

. . . a love that we cannot comprehend . . .

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8: 38 - 39

This Thursday, I was able to share with the ladies Bible Study I help with at the "House of Restoration". I think I have mentioned this before but these ladies are all in this "House" because of some former addiction such as drugs or alcohol. We were talking about abundant life in Christ and how Christ forgives us of all our sins and there is no condemnation in Christ when we are in Him. I was so happy that the ladies had some questions and comments to make during the study. One lady, who recently became a Christian, gave an example of two sins and kept asking me which one was worse. I told her they were both the same and then she had several other examples and she kept asking me several more times: "But if I were to do 'this or this other thing' which would be the worst?" I kept telling her it was all the same and tried to use myself as an example. Another lady that helps with the Bible study reminded us that for some sins there might be greater consequences than others but that God looks at all sin the same regardless. I think this sweet lady really understood that all sin is the same in the eyes of God but she wanted confirmation from someone else. I could almost see the relief in her eyes when I think we finally convinced her that all sin is the same. I imagine it is possible that when she looks at herself, she sees her past with what I think includes prostitution, drug and alcohol addiction, and perhaps robbery. But, I know that when Jesus looks at her He doesn't see anything but a slate wiped completely clean. I want so badly for these ladies whom have recently come to Christ to be free from the self condemnation of their sin.

During the study we were looking at John 17:5 and discussing about how God gives us protection from the devil when we are His children. One lady spoke up and told the group that God protects us more if we don't sin. I had to gently tell her that no that was not true that God is always with us even when we sin -Nothing can separate us from His love and nothing can snatch us from the palm of His hand.

God absolutely broke my heart that day just through seeing the confusion about forgiveness and God's love that these ladies feel. I imagine some of them have never had a real father figure in their life and it might be difficult for them to comprehend this loving almighty God. I often forget that God has blessed me tremendously in my life in that I grew up in a loving Christian home in church and have always know about the things of God. The small things I have taken for granted because I have just "always known about them" these ladies may not be able to comprehend like God's self sacrificing love that doesn't remember our wrongs.

No one came to Christ that day through my lesson but it was such a blessing to my heart. It touched me so deeply to hear the ladies asking questions about sin and God. I pray that somewhere within our lesson, a seed was planted. I want these ladies to know that they are worth Christ's love and they are worth His death and nothing they have done or will do can ever take that away from them.

. . . 'nothing' will be able to separate us from the love of God . . .

2 comments:

Terri Bateman said...

Hey Danielle and Travis! This is sadly the first time we have visited your blog--it is wonderful, just as Vicki said. We have had computer issues... Your site is beautiful, informative, and inspiring.
You both brought tears to my eyes as I read both your stories. Your willingness to serve and the humility with which you reach out to others is precious.
We will continue to pray as you prepare for the next BIG step--Mexico city! We love you.
Chuck and Terri

Amber said...

The ladies see the love of Jesus through your non-judgemental attitude and the love u have for them.
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered it keeps no record of wrongs.
1 Cor 13:4-5
Praise the Lord that He keeps no record of wrongs! You have taught them this and demonstrated it to them. Keep going Danielle & Travis! God is using u is awesome ways!