cutest

Friday, January 9, 2009

Toros de la Tica



This is the first time I have ever written on our blog so please excuse the poor writing quality as compaired to what Danielle normally writes.




I just wanted to put some pictures of the bull fight that I got to go to with our friend Tim and his son Noah. It was a really neat time. They have a festival here in San Jose in an are called Zapote. It is actually the part of town that Danielle and I live in. The festival is a combination Christmas and New Years festival that last for about a month and a half. Sunday was the last day for the festival and so we decided to go to the bull fight. The bull fight was every day at 3 and 7. When we got to the bull fight there were hundreds of people in line. We did some figuring and decided to just buy some tickets from some of the "independant sellers" outside of the arena. Once we got in we realized that there were as many people inside as we had seen outside. It was a huge crowd.




Just a little background on bull fights in Costa Rica. Costa Rica is the only country where it is legal to be killed by a bull in a sport, but you cannot harm the bull. It is called "humain" bull fighting ( at least for the bull). The other thing is that only part of the time are there actual matadors. The rest of the time there are about 100-200 people just running around the ring trying not to get hit by the bull. It was really quit neat. They also play games with the bull. One was that they drew three circles on the ground and put 6 guys in each. They would then get the bull to charge the circle and the last guy that didn't run away or get helped out of the circle by the bull won.
I really enjoyed getting to experiance part of the culture. I think that Tim and Noah and I were the only "gringos" in the whole place. We actually got to be on tv. The whole thing was live and the camera man walked by and so we made Costa Rican tv the first weekend. I really look forward to all the other things that we will be able to experiance while we are here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello my friends!!! Glad Travis got to be the author of a post! I really enjoyed reading about the bullfight :)I bet it was so cool! I remember reading about those in school and to actually experience it would be awesome...maybe even a little scary! I hope things have been going well in the past week. I can't wait to hear all about what you are learning about the language and culture! Love yall

Ash

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear even more about the bull fight this is so very different from the way it is done in Mexico and Spain. Do you have any more pictures from the bull fight. I would love to use them in teaching some culture. Your writing was great

Denton party of 5 said...

the kids loved reading about the bull fight. we had to do some online research to learn more because their curiousity was peaked. they think it is "so cool" that you are missionaries in such a different place. thanks for sharing, travis!