Sunday - We had the wonderful opportunity in participating in a house church begun by another missionary couple in the city. After house church, we enjoyed a wonderful pot luck lunch with the group and were able to get to know some of the people. After lunch, Travis and I went with David (one of the missionaries) and Luis ( a local ministry partner) to visit another house church group and show the movie "Fireproof" in Spanish where afterwards Luis presented the gospel message.
Monday - We used this day to set up our home and get to know our neighborhood a little. We have met almost all of our neighbors and are looking forward to getting to know them.
Tuesday - Early in the morning, we left for immigration on the opposite side of the city to finish our visa paperwork. After immigration, we enjoyed lunch with other missionaries from the mission office and had our "missionary orientation" for the city.
Thursday - We had the opportunity to participate in some ministry things that another missionary couple has going on in the city. I went to another missionary ladies house where she has a quilting class and bible study once a week on Thursdays. It was an amazing time for me where I was able to meet the ladies and get to know some of them much better. A few promised to teach me to cook Mexican food if I would teach them some American dishes and one lady promised me that they would be my friends and family in the city. Several of the ladies in the group do not know the Lord and come mainly for the quilting class. I hope that I will be able to continue to attend this Bible Study and maybe pursue further relationships with these ladies. While I was working with the ladies quilting group, Travis was off to help with a vacation Bible school. There are groups of indigenous people in the city whom make furniture out of tents on the sides of streets and roads in and around the city. The tents also serve as their homes. For the majority of these groups, Spanish is their second language their primary language being the indigeous language. David is trying to build relationships with these groups and decided to have one night of Bible School for their children last week. David, Travis, Luis, and another partner in ministry, Roberto went to help in the children's Bible School. They left at 4:00 in the afternoon but didn't get back until around 11:00 at night after travel time and delays.
Friday - Friday morning, I woke up and had plans to bake all morning in preparation for an event with house churches on Saturday afternoon. Travis and I were to leave the house at 2:30 to meet David and his wife Anne to go to another indigeonous group in the city for another Bible School. I need to preface this part by letting you know that all of our appliances in our house are run on gas - water, oven/stove, dryer, etc. We have two big propane tanks on the roof that we keep filled so we can have these wonderful luxuries. I got up on Friday morning, and when I went to turn the oven on I couldn't get it to work. At the same time, Travis was getting ready to take a shower and couldn't get the hot water to come on. After some exploration, we discovered that both propane tanks were empty. Travis went downstairs to talk to the lady in the little store beneath our apartment and she let him know that the gas company comes every day at 1:00. We waited as long as we could and finally both took cold showers so we wouldn't be late for Bible School. Finally, at 2:15 the gas truck pulled up and were able to get our propane!
Saturday - Saturday, our missionary friends were having a get together with all the house churches that they work with. We met near the river in a little pavilion sort of thing and there was lots of praise music, food, and fellowship.
What a wonderful week! We are praising the Lord for all the opportunities He gave us last week and are praying that He will continue to use us here in Mexico City.
No comments:
Post a Comment