cutest

Saturday, May 16, 2009

. . . You've come a long way baby . . . .

The other day, I started thinking back to when we first arrived in Costa Rica.

I refused to walk anywhere by myself because I was convinced that everyone I met was out to get me. After our little encounter with the “ladrones,” I believed this was true for a long time. I also remember how I cried and cried because there was no hot water in my sink and because I wanted to wash my face with hot water and not the iceburg that comes out of my faucet. I wouldn’t get my haircut for a long time and had a stringy mess because I was convinced that "these people here" couldn’t do it right. I longed for Jessie at Hairbenders and thought of flying her down here on occasion. I was ashamed of myself as I had these thoughts but - Oh, how things have changed!

Last Sunday morning, I got ready to get out of bed and realized the power was out in our home. Looking back at that moment, I remember, I didn’t flinch but rather just laid back in the bed realizing that without power there would be no hot ( I use “hot” very loosely) shower ( our shower is a “widow maker” for those of you who know what that means – there is no water heater and this little gadget will not work without electricity). I laid in bed for a while praising God for the beauty of the morning as I stared out my bedroom window. A few hours later, the electricity returned and I went on with my shower and my day.

A few days later, I woke up and went to get in the shower only to discover there was no water - making it quite impossible to take a shower at all. Travis and I just shrugged our shoulders and hung around the house until the late afternoon when the water returned.

Many times, I would walk by the beauty salon and look in and ponder about getting my hair cut. Last week, I got fed up. My hair was driving me crazy. I wanted to be a “Linda Tica” and I was tired of the long haired look. I walked into the salon just hoping I could explain: “ A little off the ends and keep the long layers.” Well, my Spanish is getting better and better but my “shop talk” when it comes to hair is minimum. Entonces, I went in and basically told him to do whatever he wanted. I remember praying as I was in the chair: “Lord, PLEASE let this turn out well. I really need this to turn out well.” I determined myself not to cry no matter what it looked like. All this to say, the guy knew what he was doing and now I am sporting my new cute hair in Costa Rica.

Something else to be proud of - I have now ridden the bus, in a taxi, walked to the grocery store and to school ALL BY MYSELF. I have finally realized that I am to seek the Lord for my protection and while I don’t need to make unwise choices or decisions, I still need to grow up and get out on my own if I want to meet ladies in my community.
I am bragging on myself because I am amazed at how beautifully God has worked in my life – previously the princess in me would have been stomping my feet and complaining about the lack of water or electricity. However, I am now beginning to see a new me. God has given me grace to get beyond my entitled attitudes and to praise him for the times we do have electricity or water – which is most of the time.
As I was taking my lukewarm shower yesterday - I thought to myself – “You’ve come a long way baby!” Instead of complaining to the Father for my lack of warm water and morning shower, I was praising him for the times when I have received hot morning showers and apologizing for taking them for granted. Sporting my new hairdo, I am praising the Lord for the small ways he works in our lives and I when I do get discouraged, I continue to remind myself to keep on trekking because: " You've come a long way baby!"

6 comments:

MillerMissions said...

Love the new do! I'm so proud of you and Travis. You know things seem to work themselves out as we trust the Lord and continue to walk day by day. God is so good to push us out of our comfort zone and yet walk right along with us.

We think of you so often and pray for you. You are so special to us. Continue to soar as he leads.

Much love,

Justin Pearson said...

Thanks for sharing! It is awesome to see how the Lord is working in your life. Amy and I pray for you and Travis when we see your prayer cards around our house. Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus!

Julie Rhodes said...

Thats awesome how your mind set has been changed. God is truly great. I'm proud of you and Travis!
Soak up all that God is showing you.

Chase Rhodes

Unknown said...

Hey! This post has been sooo enjoyable to read... Haha!I actually read it aloud to the people standing around at the BX while I was working :) That haircut looks adorable around your pretty little face! I love you and am encouraged by what you shared. It reminds me to be thankful.

Denton party of 5 said...

i love your new hair cut, now i think i may need to come down there just to get a new do! thanks for reminding me that instead of pitching a fit when i am inconvenienced by unavoidable circumstances, i need to be praising God.

we continue to pray for you and travis and for the lives you are touching.

Amber said...

I love your new haircut! You have grown spiritually, emotionally and physically with your beautiful new style! Precioso!