cutest

Monday, November 17, 2008

"And we rejoice . . . ."

"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that sufferings produce perserverance; perserverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not dissapoint us, because God has poured his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." (Romans 5:2 -5)

This week was filled with many wonderful new experiences. We had "special meal" on two days of the week. For lunch, we ate Middle Eastern meals where we were only allowed to eat with our hands. It was a really fun experience for us.

Also, We had "Thanksgiving" this week! A friend of our quad family, the Louderbacks, sent them huge baskets filled with food for Thanksgiving dinner which they shared so generously with our entire region. Even though we won't be home with our biological family this Thanksgiving, we were able to enjoy Thanksgiving with some of our spiritual family on Sunday night and it was an awesome blessing. Thank you Tim and Tina!

Saturday, many from our region ran/walked a 5K race around the ILC campus to raise money for Lottie Moon - We look tired after our race.
On a different note, this week was difficult in ways. Our families have experienced some rough times and I can feel Satan attacking us in difficult ways and using our thoughts and the tough situations in the lives of people that we love to discourage our hearts.
For me this week, my mind was my greatest enemy. I looked around and saw many godly men and women of the faith. There are those who have already been imprisoned and persecuted for sharing the gospel and many with seminary degrees and biblical knowledge far beyond what I possess. Satan had spoken thoughts into my mind and made me believe myself inadequate to be a missionary and even a Christian. In my mind, I couldn’t possible hold a candle to these spiritual giants and I began to wonder if we were doing the right thing in going. However, Friday, God used a session we had on personality to really open my eyes to the lies I was letting Satan feed me. I may not be a great biblical scholar; I may not know the answers to all the questions that someone may ask me. I may not be a talented musician, singer, doctor, seamstress, church planter, volleyball player, or preacher’s wife but God made me exactly how he wanted me to be and I have gifts and talents that I can use to serve him as well. He gives each of us our own gifts and he created us unique so we can use those gifts to serve Him. The physical body has many parts just like the body of Christ. Each part has its own unique purpose to fulfill. When we believe we are not good enough or that we have no gifts to offer, we are saying that God’s creation is worthless. In my situation, I was not only telling God his creation was worthless but I was calling him a liar by saying that I didn’t have the ability to do what he had asked of me.
God set this verse on my heart this week: “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made: your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalm 139: 14 – 16

Travis took a picture of this rainbow a few days ago out by the pond at the ILC. Today, this rainbow reminds me that no matter what is going on in our lives, God is faithful.

Please pray specifically this week for our families that they would have hope in the midst of any trying circumstances that may come their way. Please pray that miracles would happen where there seems to be no chance and that they would always remember that God, their creator, Savior, and friend is faithful.

Also, please let us know how we can pray for each of you. We believe strongly that it is our responsibility as brothers and sisters in Christ to lift one another up to the Lord and to encourage one another in the faith. Please let us know how we can lift you up and encourage you this week.

"And we rejoice . . . ."








2 comments:

Denton party of 5 said...

The struggles you describe in your blog this week could have been my own words from the last couple of weeks. Satan seems to be on the attack and it has been easy for me to get discouraged also. I don't have any great insight or words of wisdom for you but I can tell you that I will be praying for you as you continue to discover what God's purpose and design are for you especially in the mission field you have been called to.

Anonymous said...

Keep on Danielle & Travis! God is so proud of you and so are we. Keep on going strong for Jesus! You are heavily on our hearts & in our bed-time prayers. :)